Canary Wharf Contractors Southbank Place Construction Project was the first registered as an Ultra Site as part of the National Considerate Constructors Scheme.
All registered sites comply with a “Code of Considerate Practice” where Considerate Constructors seek to improve the image of the construction industry by striving to promote and achieve best practice under the Code.
The Code is in five parts where each section of the Code contains an aspirational supporting statement and four bullet points which represent the basic expectations of registration with the Scheme.
Care about Appearance
Constructors should ensure sites appear professional and well managed
- Ensuring that the external appearance of sites enhances the image of the industry.
- Being organised, clean and tidy.
- Enhancing the appearance of facilities, stored materials, vehicles and plant.
- Raising the image of the workforce by their appearance.
Respect the Community
Constructors should give utmost consideration to their impact on neighbours and the public
- Informing, respecting and showing courtesy to those affected by the work.
- Minimising the impact of deliveries, parking and work on the public highway.
- Contributing to and supporting the local community and economy.
- Working to create a positive and enduring impression, and promoting the Code.
Protect the Environment
Constructors should protect and enhance the environment
- Identifying, managing and promoting environmental issues.
- Seeking sustainable solutions, and minimising waste, the carbon footprint and resources.
- Minimising the impact of vibration, and air, light and noise pollution.
- Protecting the ecology, the landscape, wildlife, vegetation and water courses.
Secure everyone’s Safety
Constructors should attain the highest levels of safety performance
- Having systems that care for the safety of the public, visitors and the workforce.
- Minimising security risks to neighbours.
- Having initiatives for continuous safety improvement.
- Embedding attitudes and behaviours that enhance safety performance.
Value their Workforce
Constructors should provide a supportive and caring working environment
- Providing a workplace where everyone is respected, treated fairly, encouraged and supported.
- Identifying personal development needs and promoting training.
- Caring for the health and wellbeing of the workforce.
- Providing and maintaining high standards of welfare.
‘Ultra Site’ standard which has been set up to drive improvement throughout the
construction supply chain. An ‘Ultra Site’ is one which demonstrates and promotes
the very highest standards within the Scheme and actively seeks to improve not only
its own performance but that of the wider construction industry through its supply